How Do I Get Help?
- Contact one of the abortion providers listed. A counselor will inform you of your choices. If you decide you want an abortion, but cannot afford one, they will tell you about several sources of help, including SAFE.
- You must be receiving abortion services in Maine or be a Mainer getting abortion services elsewhere to use SAFE funds.
- The counselor will offer you SAFE funds or call us as needed.
Services Funded by SAFE
As medically appropriate, SAFE funds may be used for medical or surgical abortion services, in the first or second trimesters of pregnancy, as allowed by law.
Abortion Providers in Maine
If you are planning to have your procedure with a provider not listed above, you may still be able to get SAFE funding. Have your provider contact SAFE directly at: 207-370-9722.
Other Possible Sources of Financial Aid
- If you are using a Planned Parenthood clinic, you might be able to get financial aid from their special funds. Ask the person helping you at the clinic about these funds.
- The National Abortion Federation (NAF) offers financial aid to patients in need. Call this hotline to ask if you qualify: 1-800-772-9100.
The hotline is active Monday – Friday, 7 am – 11 pm, and Saturday and Sunday, 9 am – 9 pm.
Sometimes the hotline is very busy. It might help to call early or late to get through to a person. Don’t give up.
You can learn more about NAF here: https://ProChoice.org
- The decision to have an abortion is up to you and a medical doctor. Abortion is your legal right up to about 24 weeks of pregnancy.
- It’s easiest and safest to have an abortion early in pregnancy, up to about 14 weeks. It also costs less.
- If you make an appointment with one of the abortion providers listed above, you will have medical tests to confirm the pregnancy and to determine how far along you are. A counselor will talk with you about your choices and the costs of an abortion.
- If you choose to have an abortion but cannot pay the full costs, the counselor will help you figure out which funds, including SAFE, can help. All providers will ask you to pay at least some of the costs, as you are able.